At Custom Folkestone in 2019, Carrie from Planet Phizzog led a Garden-to-Table cookery workshop for children. They harvested potatoes, cucumbers and herbs from Custom’s Locavore Garden and created a Greek “Mezze” to share with their parents at the end of the day. This potato recipe was the highlight of the day.
Serves: As many people as you like!
Approximate cost per head = 20p
- Potatoes: Waxy ones are best – we estimate 3-4 small potatoes or 2 medium per person
- Oil: Rapeseed oil is great for this (you can buy delicious Pure Kent oil from ReStock on Guildhall Street in your own container so you can get exactly the quantity you want.)
- Fresh herbs: Parsley, thyme or oregano all work well (pick them at your local community garden!)
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
- Scrub the potatoes (don’t peel) and cut larger ones in half so they are all the same sort of size. Toss with enough oil to cover and season with salt and pepper
- Spread potatoes on baking sheet
- Roast in the oven until they are lightly browned: toss once halfway through and cook till you can feel them squish a little when you squeeze between finger and thumb (be careful not to burn yourself!) – about 30 – 45 minutes total.
- Toss with herbs, lemon and garlic: Remove from oven, drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with garlic, toss to coat. Spread back out into an even layer.
- Continue to roast until tender: Roast 10 minutes longer or until fully tender and golden brown in places.
- Serve warm.